Movie Clips- Analyzing Teachings

Clip # 1- Drumline (Bad Example)

Response to questions: 

Why did you choose this clips?

I choose this clip because it was an example of a movie in which music is being taught. I also choose it because it was about a first year going to post-secondary for music just like us and some of the things talked about in the video could happen to us. I would hope by viewing this video that you might see an example of a bad teacher.

What is the context?

The context of the film is that a man goes to school for music, but he is also arrogant and doesn’t really seem to give a care about anything.

Does this clip offer an example of exceptionally good or problematic teaching? And why

I think that it offers a problematic style of teaching. Mr.Lee doesn’t seem to treat his students very well he yells at them and publicly humiliates them. I think that from the video it does seem like a few of the students made mistakes or behaved badly but I don’t think that Mr.Lee went about the right way in trying to solve these issues. If anything, these students will learn to fear Mr.lee or even resent him which is not exactly a great environment for learning or teaching. However, I’m not advocating for teachers to not discipline students but I think there is sometimes more appropriate ways in disciplining students for it to be the most effective and still allow for them to feel comfortable and learn.

Clip #2- October Skies (Good Example)

Responses:

Why did you choose these clips?

I choose this clip because I thought it was an outstanding example of a good teacher. I hope that from this video people will take away an example of a great teacher that really believed in her students. I like this video also because it reminds me of what my teachers did at school that helped me to follow my goal of going to school for music. For example, one of my music teachers, when she figured out that I wanted to go to school for music she started to let me help conduct the Junior band and take a co-op in her class to learn more about how to teach.

What is the context?

The context of this movie and more specifically the clip is that Homer a young man in high school wants to learn how to build rockets and go to space. His teacher when she figures this out tries to help him follow his dream by buying him a book that would help him to start to learn about rocket science.

I think this video provides an exceptionally good example of teaching because Miss Riley helps for a student to follow his dreams. She could have just told Homer that it was a dumb idea and that it would be almost impossible for him to follow his dream of becoming a rocket scientist but instead, she helps him by providing him with resources to achieve that goal. I think this is an important factor in the job of a teacher. They should be supportive in most cases of the student’s ambitions and help to foster it because I think that it is not the teacher’s job to tell a student what they can and can not do. Let the student explore and work towards it and if it doesn’t work out then they maybe they learn that it wasn’t right for them, but it shouldn’t be the teacher’s job to tell them it is not going to work out.